Property worth several thousands of cedis was destroyed, while more than 170 female students are temporarily without shelter. The dormitories affected are Nightingale and Sleissor.
When the 'Daily Graphic' got to the scene of the incident the belongings of the students which had been destroyed by the fire were seen littered and the dormitory block had experienced serious cracks that according to the Ho Municipal Fire Officer, M. Sakute Addo has made it uninhabitable unless serious rehabilitation work was done on it.
Apart from all asthmatic students who collapsed from the smoke that engulfed the dormitory and was rushed to the hospital for treatment, no other casualty was recorded.
Students whose belongings were destroyed were seen weeping while others were on the payphone communicating their ordeal to their parents.
The Headmaster of the school, Mr Joseph Afudego, said in the meantime the affected students had been asked to join other female students’ dormitories while steps were taken to address the problem.
According to official school sources, the fire broke out at about 7p.m. on Tuesday when the students were at prep.
At the time of filing this report, the Volta Regional Minister, his deputy, the Regional Co-ordinator of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) and officials from the education directorate had paid a visit to the school to acquaint themselves with the problem, but fire officials were yet to ascertain the cause of the fire.